Salary$25.05 Per Hour
Purpose of Position
Under the direct supervision of the Customer Service Supervisor, provides exemplary customer service to internal and external utility customers. Performs a variety of duties related to residential and commercial accounts, billing, credit, collections, answering telephones, cashiering, and maintaining utility account records in a lead role. This position is a full-time, non-FLSA exempt, with no supervisory duties. This position is within a collective bargaining agreement as represented by an exclusive representative.
Essential Job Functions
- Ability to perform all duties of the customer service representative position including, but not limited to: greeting customers and answering, directing, and taking a message for incoming telephone calls in a friendly, courteous, and professional manner; providing customers with information on utility services, energy efficiency, rebates, and directing them to the appropriate department as needed.
- Ability to develop and maintain proficient knowledge of the customer information software system and serve as a resource for other employees utilizing the system.
- Ability to understand and explain CU’s customer service policies and procedures. Provide recommendations to management when updates are needed based on experiences.
- Ability to accurately and confidently convey to customers information regarding CU’s rates, fees, and charges for electric and water services.
- Receive, accurately record, and facilitate the implementation of setting up new accounts, accepting payments, and processing customer service orders. Prepare related reports as required.
- Work with customers regarding past due utility accounts, make payment arrangements, and follow up with customers as necessary. Assist customers with various payment options, including levelized pay, automatic payment, and credit/debit card payments. Ensure accuracy when posting to multiple software systems.
- Assist eligible customers with bill payment assistance through the utility’s Share the Warmth program according to the program policies and procedures.
- Assist customers with website interface for customer account access.
- Prepare routine account billing statements for mailing. Review reports for accuracy before printing.
- Investigate and resolve specialized and complex customer concerns (internal/external), including bill complaints and discrepancies. Apply adjustments to customer accounts when appropriate and following CU policies and procedures. Communicate and follow up with other customer service staff, CU departments, and outside entities as needed or required.
- Obtain water and electric reads through software as needed, remotely disconnect and reconnect AMI meters.
- Prepare and mail delinquent letters and notices and disconnect notices to customers.
- Review customer creditworthiness to ensure deposits collected are adequate per CU policy; generate letters to increase or add required deposit amount on accounts as needed.
- Maintain telephone contact with customers regarding delinquent accounts.
- Work closely with the collection agency to maintain a high rate of collection on delinquent accounts.
- Ensure compliance with bankruptcy laws during collection processes.
- Prepare monthly write-off report for Board of Director approval.
- Balance daily Paynow and Online payments. Balance weekly ACH and Credit card payments. Prepare and deliver bank deposits daily or as assigned.
- Filing, archiving and pulling records in compliance with the State of Oregon records retention and destruction schedules.
- Process Month End reports, meter changes outs, and establish temporary water agreements.
- Demonstrates an ability to form and maintain a positive and cohesive working relationship with co-workers and supervisors.
- Follow all safety rules and procedures for work areas.
Other Work Requirements
- Assure that the work area is clean, secure, safe, and well maintained.
- Performs other tasks and duties as requested, required, or assigned.
Job Related Qualifications
High school diploma or equivalent. Minimum five years of experience in cash handling, balancing cash drawers, and customer service. A minimum of two years of experience in the field of credit and collections. Proficiency and accuracy in high volume data entry/10-key operation, computer use for word processing (MS Word) and spreadsheet (Excel) applications, and specialized software experience. Mathematics, reading, writing, effective communication, problem-solving, conflict resolution, and teamwork skills related to job functions. Regular and reliable attendance is necessary to ensure customer and department needs are met.
Possess and maintain a valid Oregon driver’s license is required.
Prior experience in a leadership role, utility experience, and English/Spanish bilingualism.
Submit completed application, Resume, and Cover Letter by email, mail to:
Attn: Barb Benson
PO Box 1070
Canby, OR 97013
In-person applications can be obtained at 1265 SE Third Avenue, Canby, OR 97013.
First review of applications will be on September 7, 2021. The position is open until filled.
This recruitment will remain open until filled and may close at any time without prior notice in order to proceed in the selection process.
Canby Utility strives to provide its employees with a generous benefits package in recognition of the influence employment benefits have on the economic and personal welfare of our employees. Below is a general list of the benefits that are available to employees.
- Health Insurance - Choice of two medical/vision plans & two dental plans
- Group Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Section 125 Plans
- HRA VEBA (Voluntary Employees' Beneficiary Association)
- PERS Retirement for all employees, 6% pick-up by Canby Utility
- 401(k) or 457 Deferred Compensation Plans available on a voluntary basis
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Voluntary Supplemental Plans such as accident, critical care, hospital indemnity, major illness, identity theft, and legal services