Water Distribution Utility Worker II
Canby Utility, a public water and electric utility located 30 minutes south of Portland and serving a population of approximately 16,660 with 5,000 meters, is recruiting for a water utility worker to complement its distribution crew. This individual will perform work in construction, maintenance, operation, inspections and repairs of our water distribution system. This position is physically demanding.
Job skills and responsibilities include, but are not limited to: the ability to and knowledge of installing, replacing, repairing and maintaining water mains, valves, meters and hydrants; operation of dump trucks, jack hammers, backhoes, trenchers and other industry related tools and equipment essential to the work. The position requires a Water Distribution Certification level II or equivelent for the State of Oregon, and a Class A CDL or the ability to self-achieve within six months of hire. Desirable qualifications include: Cross Connection Certification, fork lift certification, construction experience, heavy equipment operation, training in competent persons for soils, and flagger certification. This position requires the ability to respond to after-hours emergencies in approximately 30 minutes. Applicant will have 1 year from date of hire to comply with residency requirements to meet the 30 minute response time.
Canby Utility currently offers an excellent benefit package including paid contributions to Oregon PERS/Public Service Retirement Plan (OPSRP); 95% of the medical, dental and vision premiums are employer paid for employee and family; employer paid contributions totaling $125 per month into the employee’s VEBA account; life insurance; paid vacation and sick leave; and 401k and 457 deferred compensation plans options. This position is represented by the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers union (IBEW Local 125).
Applications and job description can be downloaded from the links below or obtained at our office located at 154 NW First Ave., Canby, Oregon. For more information or to obtain an application by mail, email or fax, call Barbara Benson at 503-266-1156 ext. 323. Pre-employment physical, driving history, drug test and background checks required after receiving a conditional job offer. Canby Utility is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We will accept applications by email; however, cannot guarantee that they were received. Please fax (503) 263-8621, mail, or drop off application materials to our office. Applications must be received by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, July 20, 2018.
Click on the links below to download the job application and job description.
- Valid Oregon Certificate - Water Distribution Class II Certification.
- Have a valid Oregon Class A, Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or the ability to self-
obtain one within six months of hire and the CDL permit within six weeks.
- Cross Connection Certification – within six months of hire.
- Competent Person training to perform soils evaluation, oversee and assure proper shoring
within six months of hire.
- Fork lift certification within six months of hire.
- Oregon State Flagger certification within six months of employment.
- Any combination of education and experience required of a Level II certification.
- Water distribution systems including construction, maintenance and repair.
- Work zone safety and excavation activities
- Principles and practices of mathematics and report preparation.
- OSHA standards and safety requirements
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Analyze problems and identify alternative solutions.
- Use specialized computer mapping system, software and applications.
- Demonstrate proficient knowledge and experience related to use of tools for the trade and
equipment, including backhoes and other heavy equipment.
- Meet the physical abilities of the job duties, as well as work in confined spaces and
- Respond to emergency call out incidents before or after normal working hours, on weekends
and/or holidays within 30 minutes.
- Work independently with minimal supervision and provide appropriate level of direction to
other workers when acting in a lead capacity.
- Previous experience in construction, maintenance and repair in a public utility.
Physical Demands of the Position
This position is a physically demanding job. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, twist, climb, crawl, balance, squat or kneel, communicate, hear, reach and manipulate objects, tools, or controls, as well as operate motorized equipment and vehicles. The position requires the ability to occasionally lift up to 80 pounds and carry up to 50 pounds for some distance frequently. This is a safety sensitive position.
Usual working conditions found in a field environment, travel in utility provided vehicles or equipment from site to site; exposure to inclement weather conditions, noise, dust, and gases are common. Employee is also exposed to working in confined spaces and excavations.
Employee works under the direction of the Working Foreman or job lead and reports to the Operations Superintendent.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. Offers of employment are contingent upon successfully passing a drug test, having a satisfactory motor vehicle driving history and criminal background check.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or national origin.
Canby Utility is drug-free workplace.
Canby Utility provides qualifying veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment in accordance with ORS 408.225, 408.230, and 408.235; OAR 105-040-0010 and 105-040-0015.
Qualifying and disabled veterans may obtain preference by submitting a completed Veteran's Preference Form (see below), as well as submitting a copy of the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214 or 215) or a letter from the US Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs indicating receipt of a non-service connected pension to your application. Disabled Veterans must also submit a copy of their Veteran's disability preference letter from the Dept. of Veteran Affairs, unless the information is included in the DD Form 214 or 215.
- Job ID
- Current Openings
- $23.08-28.69/Hour DOQ
- January 1, 1970
- August 27, 2018